Episode 119: All About Kink
August 16, 2022 by Justin Lehmiller
Let’s get kinky! Today’s episode is a compilation of some of my favorite clips about the psychology of kink, BDSM, and fetishes. We’re going to revisit my interviews with Dr. Richard Sprott (Episode 44), Dr. Jim Pfaus (Episode 56), filmmaker and former professional dominatrix Stavroula Toska (Episode 72), and sex therapist Shamyra Howard (Episode 8). Some of the topics we explore in this show include:
- What does the term kink really mean anyway? And what’s the difference between kink, fetish, and BDSM?
- Where do kinky interests come from in the first place?
- Is kink always about sex? What are some other reasons people are drawn to kink?
- What are the most common issues that come up in sex and relationship therapy with kinky folks?
- How do you navigate consent and kink to ensure everyone’s boundaries are respected?
Check it out!
The Handy, made by Sweet Tech, is an automatic stroker designed for self-pleasure. Pair it with your sleeve of choice to mimic realistic sensations of different partnered activities with precise speed and stroke control. Visit https://link.thehandy.com/sexandpsych-1 to learn more and use my exclusive discount code (sexandpsych) to get 10% off your order.
Want to learn more about Sex and Psychology? Click here for previous articles or follow the blog on Facebook, Twitter, or Reddit to receive updates. You can also follow Dr. Lehmiller on YouTube and Instagram.
Credits: Chris Sowa (Podcast editing) and Shutterstock/Florian (Music). Image created with Canva; photos used with permission of guest.
Dr. Justin LehmillerFounder & Owner of Sex and Psychology
Dr. Justin Lehmiller is a social psychologist and Research Fellow at The Kinsey Institute. He runs the Sex and Psychology blog and podcast and is author of the popular book Tell Me What You Want. Dr. Lehmiller is an award-winning educator, and a prolific researcher who has published more than 50 academic works.Read full bio >