Episode 69: Designer Genitals – The Truth About Genital Enhancement Surgery
January 14, 2022 by Justin Lehmiller
From penis enlargement to vaginal rejuvenation, modern medicine is offering those who are concerned with their genital appearance the opportunity to obtain “designer genitals.” In recent years, there has been an explosion in the number of people seeking genital augmentation surgery, as well as a growing number of procedures to choose from that promise to boost self-confidence and sexual desirability. But do all of these procedures really work as promised? Are they even safe? And is genital surgery really what we need, or do we just need better sex ed to help us appreciate our bodies?
To discuss the growing world of genital enhancement, I am joined by Dr. Rachel Rubin, a board-certified urologist and sexual medicine specialist. She is an assistant clinical professor of urology at Georgetown University and works in a private practice in the Washington DC region. Some of the topics we explore in this episode include:
- What kind of genital enhancements are people looking for today and why?
- Do procedures designed to increase penis size really work, and what are the risks?
- How is Botox being used to enhance genital appearance and function?
- What kind of procedures are people seeking to enhance their vulvas and vaginas? Do they work, and are they safe?
- What does the growing trend of genital augmentation say about our culture and our sexuality?
- Could better sex education help people to grow more comfortable and confident in their bodies without the need for medical intervention?
This podcast was made on Zencastr. Join Zencastr today and receive 40% off of their professional plan for 3 months with my exclusive discount code: sexandpsych
Want to learn more about Sex and Psychology? Click here for previous articles or follow the blog on Facebook, Twitter, or Reddit to receive updates. You can also follow Dr. Lehmiller on YouTube and Instagram.
Credits: LEGIT Audio (Podcast editing) and Shutterstock/Florian (Music). Image created with Canva; photos used with permission of guest.
Dr. Justin LehmillerFounder & Owner of Sex and Psychology
Dr. Justin Lehmiller is a social psychologist and Research Fellow at The Kinsey Institute. He runs the Sex and Psychology blog and podcast and is author of the popular book Tell Me What You Want. Dr. Lehmiller is an award-winning educator, and a prolific researcher who has published more than 50 academic works.Read full bio >