Episode 46: The Sex Education You Deserve
August 6, 2021 by Justin Lehmiller
It’s time to reimagine sex education and start giving people the sex ed they need—and deserve. So what should that look like? That’s the subject of my latest podcast with special guest Dr. Kristen Mark. We talk all about the sex ed that does and doesn’t work and explore tips on cultivating happier and healthier sex lives and relationships, including how to keep the spark alive and how to work through sexual trauma.
Dr. Mark is the Joycelyn Elders Endowed Chair and Professor in Sexual Health Education at the Institute for Sexual and Gender Health at the University of Minnesota Medical School. She is also a sex and relationship researcher and therapist, and an AASECT certified sex educator.
Some of the topics we explore in this episode include:
- What does sex education look like around the world? Which models work, and which ones don’t?
- Beyond reducing STIs and unwanted pregnancies, how can better sex education make society healthier overall?
- Why should pleasure be a central focus of sex ed?
- How can people in long-term relationships keep the spark alive?
- What should you do if you and your partner want different amounts of sex? How do you bridge that divide?
- How can bisexual people cultivate healthy relationships in the face of bisexual stigma?
- How do you cultivate a satisfying sex life if you have a history of sexual trauma?
To learn more about Kristen and her work, visit her website at kristenmark.com and follow her on Twitter @Kristen_Mark
Want to learn more about Sex and Psychology? Click here for previous articles or follow the blog on Facebook, Twitter, or Reddit to receive updates. You can also follow Dr. Lehmiller on YouTube and Instagram.
Listen and stream all episodes on Apple, Spotify, Google, or Amazon. Subscribe to automatically receive new episodes and please rate and review the podcast!
Credits: LEGIT Audio (Podcast editing) and Shutterstock/Florian (Music). Image created with Canva; photos used with permission of guest.
Dr. Justin LehmillerFounder & Owner of Sex and Psychology
Dr. Justin Lehmiller is a social psychologist and Research Fellow at The Kinsey Institute. He runs the Sex and Psychology blog and podcast and is author of the popular book Tell Me What You Want. Dr. Lehmiller is an award-winning educator, and a prolific researcher who has published more than 50 academic works.Read full bio >