Episode 1: Sex, Love, and Relationship Advice from Drs. John and Julie Gottman
March 31, 2020 by Justin Lehmiller
For the first episode of the Sex and Psychology Podcast, I sat down with two relationship experts, Drs. John and Julie Gottman. They are the founders of The Gottman Institute and they have been studying sex and relationships for decades. The Gottmans have published a number of influential academic papers and bestselling books, with their latest being Eight Dates: Essential Conversations for a Lifetime of Love.
I cover a wide range of topics in my interview with the Gottmans, including:
- What is the biggest takeaway or most important thing you have learned from your research?
- What is the biggest myth or misconception about relationships?
- What is Eight Dates all about, and who is it for?
- Is believing in a “soulmate” a healthy way to approach relationships?
- The idea that sex needs to be or is “supposed’ to be romantic is very popular–but is it true?
- What can couples do to improve sexual communication in their relationships?
- Are the principles of relationship success similar for same-sex and different-sex couples?
- What do people in sexually open relationships need to know? What relationship advice would you offer them?
Enjoy, and be sure to check out the Gottmans’ new book, Eight Dates!
Want to learn more about Sex and Psychology? Click here for previous articles or follow the blog on Facebook, Twitter, or Reddit to receive updates. You can also follow Dr. Lehmiller on YouTube and Instagram.
Listen and stream all episodes on Apple, Spotify, Google, or Amazon. Subscribe to automatically receive new episodes and please rate and review the podcast!
Credits: LEGIT Audio (Podcast editing) and Shutterstock/Florian (Music). Image created with Canva; photos and book covers used with guest permission.
Dr. Justin LehmillerFounder & Owner of Sex and Psychology
Dr. Justin Lehmiller is a social psychologist and Research Fellow at The Kinsey Institute. He runs the Sex and Psychology blog and podcast and is author of the popular book Tell Me What You Want. Dr. Lehmiller is an award-winning educator, and a prolific researcher who has published more than 50 academic works.Read full bio >