Sex and Psychology is Hiring!
June 20, 2022 by Justin Lehmiller
[September 14, 2022 Update: Applications are closed because this position has been filled. However, please keep an eye out for future postings!]
Sex and Psychology was founded with the goal of sharing the science of sex and relationships in a way that is informative, engaging, and accessible. Most of us never received the sex education that we deserved—we either didn’t learn enough, or we were taught incorrect information. Sex and Psychology is here to fill in the gaps, correct harmful myths and misconceptions, and provide the tools we all need to lead happier and healthier sex lives and build stronger relationships.
Contribute to this mission by joining the Sex and Psychology team! See below for position description and how to apply.
Position: Managing Editor, Sex and Psychology
Hours and Compensation: Half-time position with potential for future full-time conversion, $25/hour, 20 hours per week, work from home
Description: Dr. Justin Lehmiller is seeking a Managing Editor for his Sex and Psychology website and brand.
Start Date: As soon as possible.
Duties: Primary duties will include the following
- Creating, editing, and posting science-based educational content on the blog (both written posts and videos)
- Managing existing blog content (updating/revising older content, optimizing content for search engines)
- Assisting in podcast production (overseeing virtual recording sessions, coordinating with producer on edits, drafting show notes and artwork, scheduling new episodes for release, coordinating content calendar and guest appearances, creating audio/video clips to promote the show)
- Curating content for social media (finding new and interesting content to share, drafting posts for Facebook/Twitter/Instagram to promote blog and podcast content, scheduling social media posts on several platforms, activating the Sex and Psychology YouTube platform, moderating the Sex and Psychology subreddit)
- Assisting in research projects as time permits and according to skill level
- Managing the Sex Studies page (adding new studies submitted for inclusion, removing old/inactive studies, promoting new studies through social media)
- Fielding website inquiries (e.g., advertising, questions) and booking appointments for Dr. Lehmiller (for podcast and other appearances)
- Drafting monthly newsletters to Sex and Psychology subscribers
- Identifying opportunities to grow and expand the brand
- When possible and feasible, attending events and book signings with Dr. Lehmiller to handle merchandise sales and assisting in photo/video shoots for the brand to create educational content
- Regular virtual meetings with Dr. Lehmiller
- Organized and reliable
- Highly responsive to emails and texts
- Social media savvy
- Excellent writing skills
- Attention to detail
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in psychology, journalism, education, or a related field with knowledge in the area of human sexuality
- Desirable, but not required: video and audio editing skills (or willingness to learn), ability to create engaging infographics, familiarity/experience with WordPress, lives within driving distance of Indianapolis, Indiana for occasional in-person work (e.g., brand photo and video shoots or events)
- Mentorship in blogging, podcasting, and building a business
- Collaboration opportunities in academic research publishing (gaining research experience, working on new studies, and advancing existing projects)
- Developing connections in the field of human sexuality
How to apply:
- Please submit a CV/resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Justin LehmillerFounder & Owner of Sex and Psychology
Dr. Justin Lehmiller is a social psychologist and Research Fellow at The Kinsey Institute. He runs the Sex and Psychology blog and podcast and is author of the popular book Tell Me What You Want. Dr. Lehmiller is an award-winning educator, and a prolific researcher who has published more than 50 academic works.Read full bio >