Want to Write for Sex and Psychology? Submit Your Pitch!
November 20, 2020 by Justin Lehmiller
Sex and Psychology is about to celebrate its ninth anniversary! I’ve been blogging about the science of sex and relationships three times per week every week since the site launched, without missing a single week. That’s almost 1,400 posts in total. Whew!
This past year, I opened up the blog to occasional guest writers, and they’ve done a fantastic job! The mission and focus of Sex and Psychology hasn’t changed and I still write and produce the vast majority of the content myself. However, I’m in need of a little help to cover vacation periods and also to get better work-life balance because things in the Sex and Psychology office are busier than ever, and I have a lot of exciting new projects to share with you in 2021!
Interested in being a guest blogger? Here’s what you need to know:
- Because this is a science-based blog, you must be either an advanced graduate student or hold an advanced degree in a field related to sex research, education, or therapy.
- You must be able to communicate about the science of sex in a way that the average person can understand. Blog posts should not be written for your peers, but rather for anyone who wants to increase their scientific understanding of sex and relationships.
- Guest posts can (1) describe your own program of research, (2) explore a recent study you came across that you thought was interesting, or (3) they can use research to answer a common question people have about sex. Regardless of focus, posts should stick to the science, avoid personal opinion, and cite data/research sources.
- Submissions must be original and cannot have been previously published elsewhere.
- All guest posts will be edited by me to ensure they conform to the high standards set for the site and to maintain a consistent tone and focus.
- There is a small payment available for accepted guest posts. Guest bloggers will also receive mentorship in scientific communication and dissemination from me.
If you’re interested in writing for Sex and Psychology, please use the form below to send a short pitch (3-5 sentences) describing what you’d like to write about. Due to the high volume of email coming in to Sex and Psychology, please do not expect an immediate reply. It may take several days to get back to you. However, if your pitch is particularly timely and related to a current news story or a study that is about to be released, please include “time-sensitive pitch” in your subject line.
Thanks for your interest in joining the Sex and Psychology team!
Want to learn more about Sex and Psychology? Click here for previous articles or follow the blog on Facebook (facebook.com/psychologyofsex), Twitter (@JustinLehmiller), or Reddit (reddit.com/r/psychologyofsex) to receive updates. You can also follow Dr. Lehmiller on YouTube and Instagram.
Dr. Justin LehmillerFounder & Owner of Sex and Psychology
Dr. Justin Lehmiller is a social psychologist and Research Fellow at The Kinsey Institute. He runs the Sex and Psychology blog and podcast and is author of the popular book Tell Me What You Want. Dr. Lehmiller is an award-winning educator, and a prolific researcher who has published more than 50 academic works.Read full bio >